MORNINGTON Peninsula Shire mayor, and Briars Ward councillor Anthony Marsh has joined the Liberal Party and has confirmed with The News he has nominated for preselection as the Liberal Party’s candidate for the upcoming Nepean by-election.
Marsh submitted his application last week and was approved by a Liberal Party administrative committee meeting last Thursday (12 February). The Liberals waived the usual two-year wait before a member can nominate for preselection.
A Liberal Party source told The News there are at least six other contenders for preselection for the upcoming Nepean by-election, and that applications closed Monday (16 February).
Among the others believed to have nominated for preselection are ex-Frankston City mayor and two-time Dunkley candidate Nathan Conroy, who contested the 2024 by-election after the death of Peta Murphy, and again in the 2025 federal election, both times losing to Labor’s Jodie Belyea.
Also believed to be putting her hand up for another attempt is Briony Camp (nee Hutton), who ran for the seat of Hastings in the 2022 state election, losing to Labor’s Paul Mercurio. Her loss saw the seat of Hastings move away from the Liberals for the first time since 2006.
Other contenders are believed to be David Burgess, who also unsuccessfully contested the 2022 state election for the upper house, former Napthine government advisor Marty Barr, Jacquie Blackwell and Alex Screen.
The News believes only two of the potential seven are permanent residents of the Nepean electorate.
The Liberal source, speaking to The News on the condition of anonymity, provided the list of candidates and insights into the challenges the Liberal Party faces in the by-election.
“This by-election will cost the Liberals at least $200,000, and the taxpayer around $2m. The money spent on the by-election will need to be replenished before the seat goes to an election again in November,” said the Liberal Party source.
“The other issue is that there are rumblings that the preselection decision may be stripped from the local members, and go to the state executive instead, as it is considered such high stakes and given the tight timeframe. “If that happens, it may be that the local members may not be as keen to get behind a candidate that is imposed on them against their will.”
It is understood that preselection for a Liberal candidate for Nepean will be done with a hybrid state executive/local executive preselection model that will expedite the process but not exclude local branch input.
Marsh told The News on Monday 16 February “Following the announcement of the retirement of Sam Groth MP and the upcoming by-election in Nepean, I am pleased to confirm that I have formally applied for Liberal Party preselection. I thank Sam for his service to our community and wish him and his family well for the future.
“I have received overwhelming encouragement from local members, community leaders and residents since the by-election was announced, and I am grateful for that support.
“My connection to Nepean spans more than 33 years. I went to school here, have lived here, built my business serving local clients, and have worked and represented this community over many years, including in local government and as mayor.
“I have been encouraged by locals who value strong local representation for Nepean at a state level, and that sense of service to the community has guided my decision.
“In accordance with Liberal Party rules, I will not be making further public comment during the preselection process.”
Precedent exists for what would be in store for Marsh if he is successful in his tilt for preselection with another of those putting their hand up for the role having navigated a similar scenario. Nathan Conroy’s by-election run for Dunkley came when he was mayor of the City of Frankston. He took an unpaid leave of absence during the campaign, handing over the reigns to the deputy mayor, and resuming his position when he was defeated.
Should Marsh win preselection, it is likely he will follow a similar path, but if successful in the election, he would be required to resign from his councillor role. Such a resignation would not result in a “countback” to anoint a new representative for the Briars Ward (Despi O’Connor was the only other Briars Ward candidate in the 2024 Mornington Peninsula Shire council elections), as has occurred previously in Mornington Peninsula Shire, but rather a by-election for the ward. The Victorian Electoral Commission rules are that a countback can be held in multi-councillor wards only, and the Mornington Peninsula has moved to single councillor wards.
First published in the Frankston Times – 16 February 2026
