Close Menu
  • Bayside News Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, March 20
Facebook X (Twitter)
Bayside News
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
Bayside News
Home»100 Years Ago This Week»Frankston Shire Hall – Proposed New Building
100 Years Ago This Week

Frankston Shire Hall – Proposed New Building

BaysideNewsBy BaysideNews28 October 2025No Comments6 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Reddit Threads Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Reddit Threads Copy Link

Compiled by Cameron McCullough

THE proposal of the Shire Council to dispose of its present offices in Bay street and erect spacious new buildings on the Davey street site is agitating the minds of a section of the ratepayers who, not quite conversant with all the facts, have visions of additional loan burdens staring them in the face.
It is certainly a good sign to see the ratepayers on the alert to protect their own interests by applying the searchlight of public inquiry to all undertakings likely to involve them in financial responsibility.
In the past they have been too docile, or perhaps, indifferent. Had they been reasonably wide awake the painful experiences of the past might have been avoided, or at least minimised.
In the case under notice investigation by alert ratepayers holds no dread for the propounders of the new building scheme. On the contrary, the Council authorities are confident that the proposal has only to be thoroughly understood to prove its merits as a sound financial proposition.
An outstanding feature of the scheme and one the ratepayers will thoroughly appreciate, is the provision that no additional loan liability is to be incurred in carrying out the new building scheme.
Thus the objection raised to borrowing money for unproductive works is at once disposed of.
It is therefore all to the good that the Council’s proposal offers merits which might class it as a distinctly reproductive work.
In the first place, it will be admit ted that the site at present occupied in Bay street is too valuable as a business proposition for public buildings. It is non-revenue producing.
If sold at the present valuation it would produce at least £9 per year in rates, besides becoming a customer for electricity.
In the hands of a progressive business man the present building would quickly have a rate value to the Council of at least £20 per annum.
The Davey street site can never be a revenue-producer in the way of rates. It was reserved to the Council in 1886 for “erection, of public buildings,” and cannot be used for any other purpose. The area of this land is 250 feet by 200 feet, thus affording ample scope for development and storage facilities.
The present site in Bay street is only 40 feet by 142 feet, an area quite inadequate for the municipal requirements of this rapidly-growing district.
The present building when it was purchased was only a makeshift, as is proved by the fact that the Council when borrowing the famous £10,000 loan some years ago, placed £1000 on the loan for Shire hall and £200 for sheds.
Thus £1200, less £100, is still available, and the money is laying in the bank. Being loan money it can only be expended for the purpose for which it was borrowed, viz., Shire hall and sheds.
The uncertain stability of the present ancient building would make it rather a foolhardy proceeding to expend any substantial amount in an endeavour to make it even reasonably habitable.
The Shire engineer estimates that to alter the lighting, put in partitions and new floor would cost £300, and then a Council chamber would have to be provided.
The engineer’s estimate of complete alterations, with Council chamber, would cost at least £850; but, of course, it is difficult to estimate the cost of alterations to old buildings, and the scriptural illustration of the new patch and the old garment is not inappropriate in this instance.
The engineer estimates that up-to-date offices, strong room, Council chamber and sheds on the proposed new site in Davey street, sufficient for 30 or 40 years, would cost £2300.
The committee estimate the selling value of the present land and buildings in Bay street at about £1200, and if this price is obtained the amount required for the new buildings, under the engineer’s estimates, is available.
The recommendation of the committee appointed by the Council to enquire into the question was:
“That subject to a satisfactory price being obtained for the present site, steps be taken to build new offices on the Davey street site.”
The committee were unanimous that under no consideration should ordinary revenue be expended on the new buildings, and if the money was not available without requiring money from revenue, nothing further should be done for the present with regard to the new building proposals.
It will thus be seen that the erection of new Shire offices is contingent on the sale of the old building at a satisfactory figure. Such sale would be regarded by the majority as good business in every way.
Whoever bought it would no doubt make the best use possible of such a valuable business site, situate as it is in the heart of the town.
Improvements effected thereon would increase the value of adjoining properties and thereby bring added income to the Council in the way of rates and other charges.
On the other hand the Davey street site would be put to the use for which it was intended. The erection of commodious new Shire offices would greatly improve the financial status of the Shire and prove to financial circles that the municipality is rapidly recovering from the financial troubles recently experienced.
Incidentally the new building would provide work for local residents, not only in construction work but also at the municipal quarry.
The proposed new structure, being of concrete, the stone necessary would be obtained from the Council’s own quarries.
Viewed broadly the proposal is one which should commend itself to ratepayers.


New motor garage for Frankston
Mr. A. R. Hardidge, who, from the motor repair work he has already done in the district, has become favorably known as a first-class mechanic, has taken the new garage in Playne street, just put up by Mr. Apthorpe, which is called the Palais Garage.
Mr. Hardidge is now prepared to take on repairs to any make of motor car or cycle, and intends creating a goodwill by giving customers the utmost satisfaction by charging fair and honest prices and turning out good work, which will carry his guarantee.
From enquiries received, Mr. Hardidge believes there is an opening for someone to take special interest in motor spray pumps and farm engines, and he authorises us to state that if anyone would like to consult him on these matters and will drop him a note he will call and inspect same without cost to enquirer.


Frankston Bowling Club – Croquet Lawn To Be Provided
A general meeting of the members of the newly-formed Bowling Club was held at the Mechanics’ Hall, on Monday night last.
The Shire President (Cr. F. H. Wells) presided.
Mr. J. A. P. Ham, hon. secretary, stated that General Grimwade had consented to act as president of the club. (Applause).
The secretary also reported that Mr Muntz (Shire engineer) and Mr. T. J. McMurtrie had pegged out the ground, and proposed to proceed with the clearing and levelling work by day labor.
Mr. Muntz was suffering from an attack of influenza, otherwise he would have been present to report personally.
The report was received on the motion of Mr. Moulder, seconded by Mr. Holman.
Mr. Amor moved and Mr. Quartermain seconded that the matter of the ground be left in the hands of Messrs.


From the pages of the Frankston and Somerville Standard, 30 October 1925

BaysideNews
BaysideNews

Related Posts

Diseased Fruit Trees – Prosecution at Hastings

19 March 2026

Shocking burning fatality – Aged woman the victim

13 March 2026

Benefit Concert in aid of Bush Fire Relief Fund

5 March 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Peninsula Essence Magazine

Click Here to Read

2 February 2026
Peninsula Kids Magazine

Click Here to Read

9 December 2025
Property of the Week

563 Nepean Highway, FRANKSTON

20 January 2026
Council Watch

Council eyes state election money

2 March 2026

Council considers CEO veto power

25 February 2026
100 Years Ago this Week

Diseased Fruit Trees – Prosecution at Hastings

19 March 2026
Interviews

Writing racecourse history

6 February 2024
Contact

Street: 1/15 Wallis Drive, Hastings, 3915
Mailing: PO Box 588, Hastings, 3915

Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.