MORE than $2.1 million will be spent by Frankston ratepayers to redevelop the Frankston Arts Centre forecourt. Last week, Frankston Council awarded a $2.106 million contract to Maw Civil Pty Ltd to redevelop the forecourt. It will also commit $7500 annually from the 2026/2027 budget onwards towards its maintenance.A report prepared by Frankston Council officers read that the works will improve accessibility. “The final design reflects community consultation conducted in 2022, which highlighted several key priorities: Improved accessibility through additional parking and a more functional drop-off zone, enhanced digital signage, maintaining its prominent corner placement for greater visibility and promotional…
Author: Brodie Cowburn
ENVIRONMENTALISTS will meet this week to discuss their options after they were blindsided by Frankston Council’s decision to discontinue a group tasked with improving Kananook Creek.Frankston Council is responsible for managing land alongside the creek, and Melbourne Water manages the waterway. Council set up the Kananook Creek Governance Group, which featured representatives from council, community groups, and the state government, to review the 2009 Kananook Creek Corridor Management Plan and develop advocacy priorities.At a meeting last December, Frankston councillors agreed to discontinue the Kananook Creek Governance Group and incorporate it into council’s foreshore advisory committee. Council’s decision to disband the…
SHOCKING numbers of family violence cases in Frankston have prompted calls for action. Around five domestic violence cases are reported on average each day in the Frankston local government area. It has among the highest rates of family violence of any area in the south-east of Victoria.Frankston deputy mayor Steffie Conroy says that “more needs to be done” to address the rates of family violence in Frankston, and has called for intervention from other levels of government. “Unfortunately, Frankston City holds one of the highest recorded rates of [family violence] incidents in metro Melbourne,” Conroy said. “Approximately one in four…
PROVINCIALLANGWARRIN put 185 runs on the board on day one of their clash with ladder leaders Pines on Saturday. After winning the toss, Langwarrin chose to bat first at Lloyd Park. They struggled early, losing opener Jack Marget for four, skipper Ricky Damiano for five, and Brodie Matthews for four. Taylor Smith and Trav Campbell dug in at the end of the day to help Langwarrin put a decent total on the board. Smith scored 43 runs, and Campbell scored an impressive unbeaten 54. Billy Humphrey was pick of the bowlers for Pines. He took 3/28.Dromana had a good day…
SMOKE covered Cheltenham and Moorabbin last week after a massive factory fire. The factory on Chesterville Road in Cheltenham went up in flames at around 8.30am on Thursday, 30 January. Investigators believe that lithium-ion batteries caught fire, which sparked the huge blaze.While firefighters fought the fire, they issued community advice warnings to residents in Cheltenham, Highett, Moorabbin, and Moorabbin East. Just after 2.30pm on Thursday they declared the fire under control. Chesterville Road and Keys Road were closed to all traffic while the fire was raging. They were reopened shortly after the blaze was declared under control.In a statement, Fire…