Arrests after teen’s carjack terror


Traffic chaos: Police tape surrounds two smashed cars on Frankston-Cranbourne Rd which set the scene for the brutal carjacking, Monday 22 January. Picture: Gary Sissons

TWO men allegedly involved in the horrific carjacking of a young woman’s car in Frankston on Monday night were in custody Thursday morning.

In the frightening 22 January incident 18-year-old Skye woman Taylor Hall stopped her car at an accident scene on Frankston-Cranbourne Rd. Two men allegedly jumped out of a stolen, crashed Nissan X-Trail in front and ordered her, and a female friend, out of her Renault convertible and got in before driving away.

Ms Hall panicked as she fought to grab her puppy from the rear seat and was dragged alongside as it sped away.

She was flung to the kerb and later taken to Frankston Hospital to be treated for facial, dental and leg injuries.

Special Operations Group officers arrested a 30-year-old Skye man, Wednesday 24 January, and charged him with aggravated carjacking, reckless conduct endangering life, reckless conduct endangering serious injury, theft of motor vehicle and being a prohibited person in possession of a gun. He appeared at Melbourne Magistrates Court, Thursday morning, and was further remanded to reappear on 19 April.

His alleged accomplice, a 23-year-old Skye man, handed himself in at Frankston police station on Thursday morning and was charged with aggravated carjacking and other offices. He was due to face committal hearings at Melbourne Magistrates Court later that day.

A 35-year-old Seaford woman arrested at the scene of the carjacking is expected to be charged on summons with theft of a motor vehicle. A 31-year-old Skye woman arrested in Dandenong South on Wednesday was released pending further inquiries.

Before the alleged carjacking, the men are alleged to have rammed two police cars and three parked cars as police attempted to intercept the stolen Nissan X-Trail in a car park in Bardia Avenue, Seaford.

Commenting on Facebook, Ms Hall said she “would have held on to the car for longer but as soon as I hit that kerb, I [was] flung off and I smacked straight into the kerb”.

“I didn’t really care about my injuries; I was just worried about my dog.

“I just want to let everyone know I wasn’t punched in the face or hurt by the two guys.

“I was only hurt because I was trying to save my dog and got dragged by the car for about 50 metres before they hit the curb and I was flung off.”

In the post Ms Hall said her assailants were of Caucasian appearance and not African. “There [are] a lot of different stories going around, but this is the true one,” she wrote. “They were two white men.”

Police pursued her car on Wells Rd but were ordered to end the chase because of safety concerns. It was later found dumped on Wettenhall Rd, Frankston.

The men are believed to have later stolen a gold-coloured Volkswagen Golf which was reported being driven erratically on McClelland Drive, Langwarrin, soon afterwards.

First published in the Frankston Times – 29 January 2018

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *