Investigation continues into Frankston car fire


Detectives from the Arson and Explosives Squad are continuing to appeal for public assistance after a man was badly injured in a car fire in Frankston in 2016.

Emergency services were called to a vehicle alight on Wynden Ave about 2.40am on 27 December, 2016.

The vehicle, a white Holden Commodore sedan, was set alight while a man was sitting in the driver’s seat of the car.

The victim, a 42-year-old Frankston man, managed to escape from the vehicle and called for help.

A number of people heard him call out and subsequently called triple zero (000).

He was then conveyed to hospital in a life threatening condition with burns to his body.

No one else was believed to have been injured in the fire.

The fire is being treated as suspicious and is being investigated by detectives from the Arson and Explosive Squad.

While it has continued to progress over the past 15 months, investigators are hoping public assistance will help provide the piece of information that solves the case.

Officer in charge of the Arson and Explosives Squad, Detective Inspector Glenn Harriss, said the victim was lucky to be alive following the incident.

“To say his injuries are horrific would be an understatement,” he said.

“He sustained significant burns all over his body, which are continuing even now to impact him.

“We believe the incident was targeted and there are people out there who have information about what happened that night and who is responsible for the attack.

“I’d urge those people to come forward and make contact with police.

“Any piece of information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, might be just what our investigators are looking for to solve this case.”

Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at

Source: Victoria Police News – Thursday, 5 April 2018

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *