Professor Stracey knocked unconscious after horse fall


DURING the progress of the Gymkhana at Frankston on Monday. Professor Stracey, who was taking part in one of the jumping events received a nasty fall.

The horse he was riding made a mistake at one of the hurdles and came down. 

Stracey, falling on his head, was rendered unconscious for some time. 

Captain Surgeon Martin and Dr Atkinson were fortunately at hand, after which the injured man was removed to St. Pancras Hospital. 

He made a good recovery and was able to leave the institution next day.


CONTRIBUTORS to the “Standard” are requested to send in reports of meetings and other proceedings as early in the week as possible. 

Our experience is that correspondents all send in on the day prior to publication, when only a limited amount of space is available.


THE Wattle Club held one of its popular dances in the Mechanics Hall on Saturday evening last. 

There was a large attendance and a most enjoyable time was spent. 

On Sunday afternoon next the Wattle Club will entertain a number of soldiers at afternoon tea on Sunday afternoon next in the Mechanics Hall. 

The president of the club, Miss D. Gregory, acknowledges with thanks, the receipt of 10s 6d kindly donated by B. M. and H. J. Garrood.


THE monthly meeting of the Frankston and Hastings shire council will be held on Thursday next.


AT Frankston this week a large number of people were inoculated by Dr Griffeths, the local health officer as a precautionary measure against influenza.


IT is notified in our advertising columns that Mr W. Clarke has taken over Mr Geo, W. Wells butchering business in Frankston. 

Mr Clarke intends stocking only the very best meat and solicits a continuance of public patronage.


THE Hon A. Downward will unveil an Honor Board at the Moorooduc public hall on Saturday. 8th inst.

An invitation is extended in our advertising columns to those intersted to attend.


ON Saturday 8th inst, a social and presentation will be held in the Recreation Hall, Langwarrin to returned soldiers. Particulars appear in an advertisement.


MR J Sheridan of Frankston notifies that he has 10 acres of splendid township property for sale on the Melbourne road, adjacent to the railway station.


PRIVATE J . D. Thomson, of Frankston possesses an interesting Souvenior of his return to Australia in the shape of a minature magazine published on board the “Marathon” on the voyage out. 

We have had the pleasure of looking through the pages of the little paper and hope to give our readers extracts therefrom in a future issue of the “Standard.”


ON Friday last the Shire Councillors made a tour of inspection of the works in connection with the Peninsula Water Supply Scheme. 

Full details in connection with the trip will be published in next issue.


THE reopening of state schools after the Christmas vacation will not take place on Monday next as originally intended. Present instructions are to keep the school closed for an additional week.



Mrs. Twining, of Frankston, has received the following letter from to her soldier son:

“Brond Breat,” Favril, 30/11/’18.

As you will see by the above. I am again back in France, and as the censorship has been practically lifted, we are able to say exactly where we are. 

When I last wrote I was staying with Aunt Lux, and did not leave England until the 26th.

On the last afternoon I went with Mary and several other girls to see the presents of Lady Victoria, only daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Portland, who was married at 9.30 that morning to some Scotch notable. 

The presents were spread out on tables in the library at the castle, and were simply gorgeous.

The King and Queen each gave her a pendant, on which were engraved their monograms. 

I left Whitwell by the 8.50pm train, and arrived in London at 6.10 the following morning. 

We had a fairly rough trip across the Channel, but I am a fairly good sailor, and quite enjoyed it. 

That night I spent at Boulogne, and entrained there at 8 o’clock Wednesday morning. 

The train passed through Chenin, Peronne, Cambrai, St. Quentin, and dozens of other smaller stations, and arrived at Honnogue, a small, out-of-the-way place, at 5 o’clock on Thursday morning. 

I made inquiries, and was told that the battalion had marched through there on the previous day, so set out to try and find it. 

After walking about six kilos, (four miles), I caught them just as they were leaving for another stage of the journey, which turned out to be another 15 kilos. (10 miles), so by the time we were finished I was feeling pretty tired. 

Our destination turned out to be Favril, and we have now been back two days. 

According to the vets, we were to march to the Rhine, and occupy some of that territory, and I was rather looking forward to it, but I believe that has since been cancelled, and we are only to go as far as Belgium. 

The people here cannot do enough for us: they are so thankful to be out of German hands. This morning the French peasant opposite here, from whom we get our water, made a big boiler of coffee, and every time we went across for water he simply made us go in and have a drink of the coffee. 

At first they would not let us draw our water, but rushed out of the house to do it for us. 

They have been in German hands for four years, and during that time were not allowed out of their houses after 4pm. Most of the time they had no meat, and the whole time were without milk or sugar. 

All their horses, cows, and goats, etc., were taken from them, their carts burnt, and practically all their furniture, bed-clothes, and clothing confiscated. 

The people opposite were practically in rags, so we gave them any clothing we could spare in the way of shirts, etc. 

The kiddies are bonzer, and spend most of their time in our billet. 

Needless to say, they are being spoiled. But then, what else can you expect?

On one occasion this particular peasant went just outside his door to the pump after 4 o’clock. A German military policeman saw him, and he was given ten days’ hard labour. 

On another occasion a German soldier left a bike outside his door. He was accused of stealing it, and was therefore given ten months’ imprisonment in Germany.

The tales he tells of German cruelty are pitiful. However, they are now in our hands, and are being well clothed, well fed, and well treated, and are as happy as the day is long.

Tomorrow the King is coming along this way, and I believe we have to turn out and line the road.

I don’t know how long it will be before I get home again, but, according to all reports, I think it will be the best part of a year. 

However, the guerre is now over, so I must be patient. 

I am sending home one of our section Christmas cards with all the boys’ names in. 

Fondest love to all, and kind regards to all inquiring friends.

Ever your loving son.



From the pages of the Mornington Standard, 1 February 1919

First published in the Frankston Times – 29 January 2019

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *