Tigers show bite in fiery contest



Pines pipped: Dromana’s pressure resulted in Pines losing their second game in consecutive weeks. Picture: Andrew Hurst

PINES have slumped to their second consecutive loss after being defeated by Dromana on Saturday.

The out of form reigning premiers played host to the Tigers in what would prove to be a tense afternoon.

Dromana got the jump early in an even first quarter, and had established a handy three goal lead halfway through the second term.

Tensions bubbled over just before half time when Pines defender Guy Hendry wiped out his opponent with a massive bump in a marking contest. The hit fired both teams up, and after a short scuffle Dromana continued to play with fire in their bellies.

The Tigers continued to flex their muscles in the second half, and eventually ran away to a hard fought 28 point win 8.8 (56) to 12.12 (84).

Ben Holmes booted six goals in his second match back for Dromana. Aaron Edwards booted four for Pines. 

The loss saw Pines slip further away from top of the ladder Sorrento, who defeated Bonbeach with ease.

Star forward Leigh Poholke was at his best for the Sharks, piling on ten goals for the afternoon. Bonbeach didn’t have an answer for him all day.

After a close first quarter, Sorrento stretched their lead in the second term and didn’t look in danger of losing.

Sorrento proved to the competition that they are the team to beat with a comfortable 56 point win. They defeated Bonbeach 19.7 (121) to 9.11 (65).

At Regents Park, Frankston YCW cemented themselves in fifth place on the ladder with a win over Edithvale-Aspendale. With just two weeks remaining in the home and away season, the victory puts the Stonecats in pole position for a finals berth.

Both sides traded blows in a high scoring first term. Eleven goals were scored between both sides in the first quarter, but it was Edithvale-Aspendale who went into the break with the narrow advantage.

The Stonecats swiped back in the second quarter, establishing a 21 point lead heading into the second half of the match.

Edi-Asp kept in touch with a big effort in the third quarter, but YCW proved just too good in the end. They ran away with the win after a five goals to two final quarter.

The Stonecats had to work for it, but eventually claimed all four points with an entertaining 13.9 (87) to 18.14 (122) win.

Luke Paynter scored four goals for the winning outfit, while Lachlan Wallace was also named among the best.

Rosebud’s finals hopes were dealt a major blow this weekend, as they were defeated by Mt Eliza.

The Redlegs got the jump early in a scrappy first term, and heading into half time had a five goal lead. Rosebud had a frustrating time in the first half, only putting one goal on the board.

Rosebud had further trouble in the third term, adding just two more behinds to their score. They improved in the final quarter but it was far too little, far too late.

Mt Eliza looked the better side all day, and claimed the four points with a 4.7 (31) to 11.11 (77) win. Shane Tennant scored four majors for the Redlegs.

At Greg Beck Oval, Frankston Bombers proved to be too good for bottom placed Mornington.

The Bulldogs worked hard all day long, but were overrun in the final term. The final score read 12.10 (82) to 8.10 (58).

With their percentage so far behind Edithvale-Aspendale, the Bulldogs will likely need to win their remaining two games for the year to avoid relegation.

First published in the Frankston Times – 6 August 2019

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *