TWO more level crossings are set to be removed along the Frankston train line, in addition to the 18 already announced.
The state government has named 10 more level crossings which it will remove statewide by 2025. They include Parkers Road in Parkdale and Warrigal Road in Mentone.
The preferred solution for the project is to build rail bridges between Mentone and Parkdale. The plans would also see a new station built at Parkdale.
Taxpayers will end up paying around $3 billion on all of the works taking place on the Frankston line. Eight stations have been built and 13 level crossings have been removed so far. Five more new stations and seven more level crossing removals are still to come.
Premier Daniel Andrews said “we promised to remove 50 level crossings by 2022 and we’re more than a year ahead of schedule. It’s an incredible achievement that has created jobs, reduced congestion on our roads and opened up space for more trains, more often. Instead of just finishing early, we’re going to do more – getting rid of more crossings, creating more jobs and making more communities safer.”
Transport minister Jacinta Allan said “every Victorian knows the dinging sound of boom gates coming down and the frustration that comes with it, that’s why we’re getting rid of them – saving lives, easing congestion and getting you home sooner. We’ve already removed 46 level crossing well ahead of schedule and these extra sites will give a boost to our economy after the pandemic and support small business and hundreds of jobs.”
The state government announced its new plans at Edithvale, where a station was being demolished as part of the latest batch of works.
The Frankston train line shut down for a week between Mordialloc and Frankston as works ramped up to remove more level crossings.
Between 25 July and 1 August, crews worked to remove boom gates at Edithvale Road, Chelsea Road, Argyle Avenue, and Bondi Road. Edithvale, Chelsea, and Bonbeach stations were also demolished.
The three existing stations were decommissioned on Sunday, 25 July. Excavators moved in to demolish the buildings and platforms on Monday and Tuesday before piling work began to prepare to lower the line into trenches.
Bus replacements ran throughout the week. Trains will now run express through the three demolished stations from 2 August until 13 September. From then, the line will close between Mordialloc and Frankston again until November when the new stations open.
During the long closure period, shuttle buses will run every five to ten minutes. Work will be completed to lower the line into trenches.
The level crossing removal project says that the boom gates are down at the locations to be removed for up to 40 per cent of the morning peak.