“ADMINISTRATIVE errors” in ratepayer-funded payments made to a Kingston Council monitor are being worked on by council officers.
Kingston Council being overseen by two state government-appointed monitors. Earlier this month it was reported that monitor John Tanner had invoiced council for work on the non-existent dates of 30 February and 31 February. Those invoices were paid by council in June.
In a statement last week, Kingston Council confirmed that the errors were made and were being corrected. “Council is working with Mr Tanner to correct three minor administrative errors that were made in an invoice submitted in his statutorily appointed role as a municipal monitor,” council’s statement read.
Tanner, who began his work at council in August last year, did not have his first invoice paid until April of this year. The other monitor, John Watson, had his first invoice paid in December last year after commencing work in October.
Tanner’s invoice for work undertaken between August and September 2025 was paid on 16 April, 2026. His invoice for work between October and December 2025 was paid on 22 June; the invoice for January, February and March 2026 was paid on 18 June; the invoice for April and May 2026 was paid on 18 June; and the invoice for June 2026 was paid on 9 July.
The monitors have twice had their appointments extended. During the Christmas break their stay was extended for six more months. Just days before their expected departure at the end of June, they were further extended until 14 August to oversee council during the Melaleuca Ward by-election.
The Melaleuca Ward by-election is wrapping up, with voting closing on 31 July.
The Victorian Electoral Commission is urging all voters to return their ballots as soon as possible. Election manager Sally Joy said “you need to post your completed ballot pack before 6 pm on Friday 31 July to make sure it is counted.
“You can also drop your ballot pack off at the election office located at 1230 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham before 6 pm on Friday 31 July.”
The by-election will be contested by 13 candidates. At the earliest, results are expected to be announced on 11 August.
The state government’s decision to extend the monitors’ stay throughout the by-election was a surprise to many at Kingston Council. After the announcement, council mayor Georgina Oxley said “we will continue to work constructively with the municipal monitors throughout the extended appointment while maintaining our focus on strong governance and delivering positive outcomes for our community.” (“Kingston Council monitors set to stay” The News 8/7/2026).
First published in the Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News – 29 July 2026
