RESIDENTS of Kingston Council’s Melaleuca Ward will go without a local councillor for four months.
Melaleuca Ward councillor Tess Law resigned from council in late March. Law became embroiled in controversy earlier this year after a failed attempt to install herself on the CEO remuneration committee.
After proposing the change to the committee in February, the matter was deferred to the March meeting “pending verification by officers of Cr Law’s qualifications and experience”. The motion put forward by Law in the February agenda read that the former councillor held “postgraduate qualifications in performance management, strategic staffing, workforce capability, workplace relations, financial decision-making and leadership in complexity.”
Although council officers wrote that “the qualifications and experience of Cr Law as referenced within the motion are validated” (“Councillor resignation triggers by-election”, The News, 8/4/2026) in the agenda of council’s March meeting, the Herald Sun later reported that Law resigned after she was called out for misleading council about finishing a master’s degree.
Although not explicitly referenced in the remuneration committee motion, Law’s biography featured in council’s last annual report read that she “has a masters degree specialising in leadership and a strong background in emergency management and building community resilience.” Tess Law did not respond to a request for comment.
Kingston Council is currently being overseen by two state government-appointed monitors, who had their stay extended late last year. Ratepayers will foot the bill for the monitors’ tenure.
The vacant Melaleuca Ward spans across Parkdale and Mordialloc. Following the switch to single-councillor wards introduced at the 2020 local government elections, the area will not have a local representative on council until the vacancy is filled. Council is directing local queries to the mayor and the deputy mayor in the meantime.
Last week, the Victorian Electoral Commission confirmed the dates for the postal by-election. A result is not expected until 21 August at the latest.
Acting Electoral Commissioner Dana Fleming said that residents need to ensure they are correctly enrolled by 20 May. “You must be correctly enrolled by the close of roll, which is 4pm on Wednesday 20 May. As this is a postal election, it’s important to check your address details are correct – this includes any alternative postal address,” she said.
“Voting in local council elections is compulsory if you are enrolled. We encourage ratepayers who are eligible to apply to vote to participate in their democracy. Your local council makes important decisions about your community services and businesses, so it’s important to have your say by voting in this by-election.”
Nominations for candidates open on 15 June and close on 23 June. Ballot packs are distributed by mail between 13 July and 16 July. Voting closes on 31 July with election day scheduled for 1 August, although the final day for receipt of mailed postal votes is 7 August. Owner-ratepayers enrolled in Melaleuca Ward for the 2024 local government elections will continue to be enrolled for the by-election. Ratepayers in the ward wishing to enrol can apply to the council to enrol by calling 1300 653 356 or visit vec.vic.gov.au/enrolment for more information.
First published in the Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News – 22 April 2026
