EAGER foreshore campers got a shock last week when Mornington Peninsula Shire pulled the pin on this year’s holidays.
The shire emailed those with bookings at its Rosebud, Rye and Sorrento campgrounds on Wednesday night (4 November) notifying them of its decision to postpone camping until February.
The 1136 campsites were expected to be available from the last weekend of October, in time for the Melbourne Cup weekend, until April. But a council risk assessment concluded it could not safely go ahead.
Mornington Peninsula Shire CEO John Baker said the postponement was the “right decision with restrictions still in place for the foreseeable future”.
“We concluded this was the most prudent approach after careful consideration of the state government’s coronavirus roadmap and to ensure the health and safety of all Victorians,” he said.
The decision could cost the shire up to $3 million in lost fees.
Foreshore camp grounds run by volunteer management committees at Dromana, Capel Sound and White Cliffs-Camerons Bight, are not affected by the shire’s decision and their websites indicate they will be open 19 December to 25 April.